Organisation : Directorate of Education Delhi
Announcement : Class – XII Syllabus Biology
Download Syllabus : http://www.syllabus.gen.in/uploads/402-class_XII_Biology.pdf
Home Page : https://delhi.gov.in/
Class XII (Theory)
Unit No. Title Marks
Unit I SEXUAL REPRODUCION 12
Unit II GENETICS AND EVOLUTION 20
Unit III BIOLOGY AND HUMEN WELFARE 12
Unit IV BIOTECHNOLOGY AND ITS APPLICATION 12
Unit V ECOLOGY AND ENVIROMENT 14
I SEXUAL REPRODUCION (35 Periods)
Pollination and fertilization in flowering plants.
Development of seeds and fruits.
Human reproduction: reproductive system in male and female, menstrual cycle. Production of gametes, fertilization, implantation , embryo development, pregnancyand parturition.
Reproductive health – birth control, contraception and sexually transmitted diseases.
II GENETICS AND EVOLUTION (45 Periods)
Chromosome theory of inheritance, deviations from Mendelian ratio ( gene interaction- incomplete dominance, co-dominance, complementary genes, multiple alleles).
Sex determination in human beings: XX,XY.
Linkage and crossing over.
Inheritance pattern of haemophilia and blood group in human beings.
DNA: replication, transcription, translation.
Gene and regulation.
Genome and Human Genome Project.
Evolution: theories and evidences.
III BIOLOGY AND HUMEN WELFARE (35 Periods)
Basic concept of immunology, vaccines.
Plant breeding, tissue culture, food production.
Microbes in household food processing, industrial production, s ewage
treatment and energy generation.
Cancer and AIDS.
Adolescence and drug/alcohol abuse.
IV BIOTECHNOLOGY AND ITS APPLICATION (30 Period)
Recombination DNA technology.
Applications in helth, Agriculture and Industry
Genetically modified (GM) organism; biosafety issues.
Insulin and Bt cotton.
V ECOLOGY AND ENVIROMENT (30 Period)
Ecosystems: components, type and energy flow.
Species, population and community.
Centers of diversity and conservation of biodiversity, na tional parks and sanctuaries.
Time: 3 Hours 60 Periods
1. Two experiments 4+4=8 Mark
2. Slide preparation 5 Mark
3. Sporting 7 Mark
4. Investigatory project and Viva based on project 5 Mark
5. Record and Viva based on the experiment 5 Mark
List of Experiments :
1. Study pollen germination on a slide.
2. Collect and study soil from different sites and study them for texture and moisture content.
3. Study the pH and Water holding capacity of soil. Correlate with the kind of plants found in them
4. Collect water from different water bodies around you and study them for pH clarity and presence of any living organisms.
5. Study the process of suspend particulate matter in air the two wi dely different sites.
6. Study of plant population density by quadrate method.
7. Study of plant population frequency by quadrate method.
Study/observation of the following (spotting) :
1. Study of flowers adapted to adapted to pollination by different agencies ( weed, insect)
2. Study of pollen germination on slide.
3. Study and identify stages of gamete development i.e. t.s. testis and t.s. ovary through permanent slide.
4. Study meiosis in onion bud cell or grasshopper testis through permanent slide.
5. Study of t.s. of blastula through permanent slide.
6. Study Mendelian inheritance using seeds of different colour/size of plant.
7. Study prepared prediqree chart of genetic such as rolling of tongue, blood group, widow’s peak, colour blindness.
8. Exercise on controlled pollination-Emasculation, tagging and bagging.
9. to identify common diseases causing organism like Ascaris, Antamoeba, Plasmodium, ringworm. Comment on symptoms of diseases that they cause through permanent slide or specimens.
10. Study plants and animals found in xerophytic condition. Comment upon their adaptation/ecosystem.
11. Study plants and animals found in aquatic condition. Comment upon their adaptation/ecosystem
12. Study analogous and homologous organs in various plant and animals.