Organisation : Kerala Public Service Commission
Exam Name : Lecturer Grade I – Rural Engineering
Facility Name : Syllabus 2020
Website : https://www.keralapsc.gov.in/taxonomy/term/177
KPSC Lecturer Exam Syllabus
Kerala Public Service Commission, Lecturer Grade I – Rural Engineering Syllabus – December 2020
Part I (a): Technical Mathematics
1. Matrices – Identification of Matrices, matrix operations, adjoint and inverse.
2. Determinants – Evaluation of second and third order, minors and cofactors, solutions of simultaneous linear equation in three unknown using Cramer’s rule.
3. Binomial Series – Expansions using Binomial theorem.
4. Trigonometric functions – Signs of functions in each quadrant. Trigonometric values of angles, properties of trigonometric functions, applications of the identities sin (A ± B), cos (A ± B) and tan (A ± B).
5. Coordinate geometry – Equations to a straight line – slope-intercept form, intercept form, Angle between two lines, condition for two lines to be perpendicular, parallel.
6. Differentiation – Limits and continuity, derivatives of functions, equation to tangents and normals. Maxima and minima of functions of one variable.
7. Integration of functions – Integration of different types of functions.
8. Applications of integration – Area bounded by a curve and X or Y axis, solutions of differential equations using the method of variable separable, solutions of linear differential equations of first order.
Part I (b): Basic Civil Engineering
Brick – varieties and strength, characteristics of good brick. Cement – varieties and grade of cement and its uses. Steel – types of steel for reinforcement bars, steel structural sections. Aggregates – types & requirements of good aggregates. Concrete – grades of concrete as per IS code, water cement ratio. Workability, mixing, batching, compaction and curing.
Parts of building – foundation – types of foundations – spread footing, isolated footing, combined footing, Raft, pile and well foundations. Masonry – types rubble masonry, brick masonry, English bond and Flemish bond. (One brick wall). Surveying: Chain surveying – principles, instruments, ranging, and chaining survey lines, field work and field book, selection of survey stations, units of land area.
Levelling instruments, different types, bench mark, reduced level of points, booking of field notes, reduction of levels by height of collimation method (simple problem). Modern survey – instruments – Total station, Electronics theodolite, Distomat.
Part I (c): Basic Mechanical Engineering
The importance of IC Engines: Definition, classification – two stroke engines, four stroke engines, working of two stroke engines and four stroke engines with the help of line sketches, comparison between two stroke and four stroke engines, comparison between petrol and diesel engines, function of fly wheel, clutch, gearbox, propeller shaft and differential in power transmission, explain with sketch the working of differential, briefly explain power transmission of 4 wheel vehicle with line diagram.
The importance of Power Plants: Introduction, classification of power plants – working of hydroelectric power plant with schematic sketches – working of thermal (Steam and Diesel) power plant with schematic sketches – working of nuclear power plant with schematic sketches.
Part I (d): Basic Electrical Engineering
Review with discussion of electric current, potential difference, power, EMF, resistance and its laws, Ohms law and series parallel circuit, electromagnetism, generation of AC and DC supply. Idea of Basic electrical circuit: Electrical supply and load and its functioning, division of voltage and current in a parallel and series circuit – simple problems, units of power and energy, solution of DC circuit with calculation of energy consumption in an installation.
Circuit parameters: Resistance, Capacitance and inductance. AC circuit with R, L, C. Simple solution of typical AC circuit with resistance, impedance, power and power factor. Electrical circuit of an installation: Earthing, lightning protection.
Part I (e): Essentials of Electronics Engineering
Active and passive devices – review only. LED – working, applications, comparison of LED lighting and CFL lighting. Full wave rectifier – diagram and explanation, 5 V power supply – with bridge rectifier and 7805. SMPS – block diagram and advantages. Integrated circuits. SMDs – advantages. Static electricity – precautions in handling electronic circuits.
ON / OFF, push to ON, push to OFF, push to ON / OFF, SPST, SPDT, DPDT. Working and application of limit switches, proximity switches, relays.
Simple block diagram of 8 bit microcontrollers – application.
CDMA and GSM. Compare – 2G and 3G technologies. Inverter & UPS: Block diagram. Compare – inverter and UPS. Online and off line UPS – differentiate. Battery selection for UPS and inverter.
Health hazards of e-waste.
Download Syllabus Here : http://www.syllabus.gen.in/uploads/pdf2020/1827-syllabus.pdf